Saturday, September 8, 2007

Winter in Africa !!

Hi sweetheart !!
Ayah is in Durban, South Africa now... yesterday I was hanging around in the Changi airport for almost 12 hours...good thing WiFi is free in Business Class Lounge.... had downloaded few good clips from youtube... food was also not bad... not too mention free flow of various drinks... time flew so fast yesterday without realizing it's almost 12 hours I was in the airport..my flight to Johannesburg was delayed for almost 40 minutes, something which is very unusual for Singapore Airlines.. Met my ex boss May Kwah who is based in Bangkok now...(you still remember her, right liv ??) had a good chat with her for a while.. exchanging stories. She was with her family , coming back from their summer break. Chat with Tante Inel who is in Melbourne now...quite nice to keep me from boredom. keep texting with mommy as well ( I need to teach mommy to chat I think since SMS proven quite expensive if being done from abroad)...after wondering around in all of the shops in Changi and shalat Maghrib & Isya, I decided to have noodle and comeback to the lounge afterword (mommy teased me that I sound like Tom Hanks in the movie "Terminal").
The trip to Johannesburg take about 11 hours in length but we have time advantage so after leaving Changi at 2.50 am, I arrived in Johannesburg at 07.55 in the morning. I just found out that South Africa is in winter !!! although, there is no snow here, but still it's very-very cold, almost everybody was wearing thick jacket and overcoats. Stupid me, I should have asked Naidoo (Mick's secretary) on the attire.. I brought really light clothes... I thought it's still summer...(not realizing that South Africa is in southern hemisphere, like Australia, that make August is still winter, unlike in the states which is still summer now). When I arrived in the O.R Tambo International airport, the temperature was only 7 degrees centigrade. It's realy cold, liv !!, and from international arrival terminal I had to walk in the outside for about 150 meter to domestic departure terminal. Another delay !! good thing it was only 20 minutes delay.. I arrive in Durban around 12 o'clock and headed straight to the hotel in Umhlanga (which is about 45 minutes from Durban city). Umhlanga is suburb of Durban, the population I think it's predominantly white and quite upscale area.. a lot of nice houses and nice neighborhood.. since this is the second time I was here, nothing is surprising anymore.... When it was the first time, I couldn't believe to see how beautiful South Africa is.. Durban is situated in shore of Indian Ocean, so houses overlooking the beach were really nice. Our office (especially for some of regional team) is overlooking the ocean... they have a really beautiful canteen in which they have a balcony with ocean view... wonderful and very stunning !! Durban is warmer than Johannesburg since it's in the coastal area. But it is stil quite chill (about 15 degrees centigrade). My hotel is situated in front of the biggest and the most modern mall in Durban. so I had lunch in the mall, after bought local number for my phone to avoid crazy roaming cost. You'd be surprise libby that there are many Indian live here... so I see white, black, and Indian as the inhabitants of Durban.
now, it's your turn to tell me about where you have been in heaven.... tell me what it's like...
gotta go libby,I have to prepare for maghrib then I'm having dinner with all of the team members..it's almost 18 o clock here, which is around 23 in Indonesia..mommy has already slept couple of hours ago...talk to you later okay..

lots of love
ayah..

No comments: